Thursday, February 19

Runruno Gold Project closure to impact Nueva Vizcaya communities

FCF Minerals Corporation’s Runruno Gold-Molybdenum Project in Barangay Runruno, Quezon, Nueva Vizcaya. PHOTO COURTESY OF FCF

BY LEANDER C. DOMINGO, The Manila Times

QUEZON, Nueva Vizcaya — The impending closure of the Runruno Gold Project by the end of 2026 is set to deliver a heavy blow to employees, their families, and the surrounding communities that have long depended on the mine for livelihood and local development.

FCF Minerals Corp. confirmed on Wednesday, Feb. 18, that operations will cease following the suspension of the Dupax Exploration Permit by the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB).

The company described the suspension as removing the project’s “last operational lifeline,” cutting off hopes of extending the mine’s life through new ore discoveries.

For more than 1,500 workers — including employees, contractors, suppliers, transport providers, and small-scale entrepreneurs — the announcement has sparked anxiety and uncertainty. Many of these workers have spent years building their lives around the mine, using their wages to send children to school, sustain small businesses, and support extended families.

“Ang trabaho ko dito ang bumubuhay sa pamilya ko,” said a truck driver who has worked at Runruno for eight years. “Hindi ko alam kung paano kami magsisimula ulit kapag nagsara na ang minahan (My job here sustains my family. I don’t know how we will start over when the mine closes).”

Local businesses, from eateries and sari-sari stores to transportation services, are also bracing for a sharp decline in customers and income.

Barangay officials warn that without alternative livelihood programs, many households will face financial hardship.

ALSO READ  Gambito appoints new acting provincial administrator

Beyond individual workers, the closure will significantly affect community development.

The mine has been a major source of local government revenue shares, national tax contributions, royalty flows, and funding for community projects such as school buildings, health centers, and infrastructure.

These contributions have improved living standards in the host barangay, and their loss will leave a gap in public service delivery.

“Maraming proyekto ang natulungan ng minahan — from scholarships to barangay health programs. Kapag nawala ito, babalik kami sa kakulangan ng pondo (Many projects drew help from the mine, from scholarships to barangay health programs. When it’s gone, we’ll return to a lack of funds),” said a community leader from Barangay Runruno.

The company disclosed that employees were formally notified earlier this week of the planned closure, citing the depletion of existing gold ore reserves at Runruno and the inability to complete exploration activities in Dupax that were intended to extend the mine’s life.

Runruno has been operating on its remaining reserves, with the Dupax exploration program seen as the only viable pathway to discovering additional economic ore that could be processed through the existing Runruno facility.

The suspension of the exploration permit has halted that program.

“With Dupax exploration suspended and no ability to complete drilling to define new economic reserves, Runruno will close having fully depleted its current ore body,” said Lorne Harvey, FCF general manager. “Mining is finite by nature. Without reserve replacement, operations must end.”

Management emphasized that the company had hoped exploration success in Dupax would extend the mine life, preserve jobs, and sustain economic contributions to host communities.

ALSO READ  Tomas files COC for NVizcaya governor

However, it said that without regulatory clarity allowing the completion of the exploration program, reserve replacement is no longer feasible within the project’s remaining timeline.

To mitigate the impact, FCF Minerals has pledged to work with local government units and development agencies to provide transition assistance, skills training, and livelihood support for affected workers and their families.

The company is also committed to ensuring that community development projects initiated during its operations are turned over sustainably to local stakeholders.

“Our responsibility extends to our employees, host communities, shareholders, and government stakeholders,” said Harvey. “We will ensure that Runruno’s closure is carried out safely, responsibly, and in full compliance with Philippine regulations.”

FCF Minerals reiterated that it remains committed to complying with Philippine laws and environmental standards throughout the closure process.

The company stated it will implement a structured and responsible mine closure program in accordance with regulatory requirements.

Further disclosures will be issued as the transition toward closure progresses.

For now, workers, families and community leaders in Nueva Vizcaya said they are left preparing for a future without the mine that has long been their economic backbone.